Quartz tabletops are becoming more popular among many homeowners. However, due to a large number of quartz tabletops available in the market and each brand having a unique finishing, patterns, and even quality, choosing the right tabletop and of a reasonable price can be a challenging task, particularly for the first time buyers. A right buying guide, therefore, becomes of great value by helping not only the new buyers but also the experienced buyers make better decisions. In this detailed guide, you will find everything of significance in helping you make the right buying decision.
What is Quartz?
Engineered quartz (AKA quartz) is human-made quartz and is attained by mixing up the Quartzite with other materials. While the Quartzite is a naturally occurring substance, the engineered quartz comprises approximately 90% of natural quartz and 10% of pigments and resins. Quartz has a wide variety of uses, particularly in the interior design decorations, due to the following properties.
• Powerful hence it is scratch proof and dent-resistant
• Minimal or no environmental impacts since it is naturally available and abundant in supply. Moreover, quartzite is a non-toxic product and also the end product, the quartz.
• Very durable hence can serve you many years without wear and tear.
• Multiple colour varieties, textures and patterns
• More innovative brands are emerging with more unique and vibrant colour options, unlike the previous brands, which had only neutral shades and colours.
GRANITE VS QUARTZ TABLETOP.
Granite is a naturally occurring igneous rock and has a coarse texture. In the same way as the quartz, it is commonly used in the manufacture of flooring and counter tops. Although these two elements may have a similar appearance, there are numerous considerable differences between the granite and a quartz tabletop.
Colours : Artificial colours. Natural colours
Heat resistance : Beyond average High
Scratch resistance: :Great High
Bacteria free : Great results Average performance.
Chip resistance : Average performance High
Non-porous (Free from absorbing moisture): Certainly
Periodic sealing : Not required Necessary
SOLID SURFACE VS QUARTZ TABLETOP
The solid surface, just like the Quartz tabletop, is also a popular high-quality choice for tabletops. It has many uses, especially that it is made up of polyester resins. If high quality manufacturing standards are met, it becomes almost impossible to differentiate it with natural tabletops such as those made from Quartzite. Although the Solid surface tabletop is meant to mimic the Quartz counterparts, they have some shortcoming that makes them less than the Quartz tabletops.
Quartz Solid Surface
Colours mostly neutral shades: Artificial colours; Man-made colours
Heat resistance : Above average ordinary performance
Scratch resistance : Great performance Average performance
Non-porous: Certainly : Surely
Chip resistance : Above average. Great
Periodic sealing : Not necessary. Not required
Bacteria resistance : Extraordinary excellent. Below average
Where can you use Quartz in your homes?
Quartz Kitchen Counter top. There are several reasons why Quartz is so prevalent in the manufacturing of kitchen counter tops such as
• Requires little or no maintenance at all
• Easy to clean and does not support bacteria growth even in watery conditions hence maintaining good hygiene in your kitchen
• Suitable for large kitchens, thus facilitating the cleaning process due to Scratch-resistant nature.
• Non-porous, and this means it cannot absorb any form of liquid such as cooking oil, among other cleaning liquids hence keeping it from discoloration.
• It does not get damaged by stains, spots, and spills, which would otherwise make it lose the stone appearance.
• Very durable and functional as long as you don’t make cracks on it.
However, the only main shortcoming of Quartz surfaces is that it can be slippery, and therefore some particular type of quartz surface such as those with polished finish should be installed on the stepping floor hence preventing slipping.
Popular Quartz Brands.
The Arkstonez Quartz.
Arkstonez is among the leading quartz brand in Singapore. It offers the best blend of functionality and form, thus ensuring a perfect aesthetic appearance in a home without necessarily giving it its high quality. It has a very flexible surface hence making it easy to customise to any design and shapes you want
Caesar stone Quartz.
Best known for envelope design. It has been in the market for more than 35 years. It is a combination of various high performance and decorative materials. They are also made using the most recent technology to ensure the best quality while maintaining the best colour combinations.
This Concetto Quartz comes with some semi-precious stones such as the methyst and dumortierite and is mainly used in table decoration. Such distinctive features make this collection one of the unique tabletop you can ever find. It has a translucent surface and extraordinary interior design, which gives it a luxurious appearance.
It comes with numerous textures and colours, such as bright and vibrant colours thus making it an ideal tabletop for multiple uses.